West Nile Virus
The West Virus is spread to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito. There are
no medications to treat or vaccines that can prevent WNV infection.
The Most Common Symptoms of West Nile Virus is fever with other flu like symptoms. In rare
cases, WNV can cause serious, sometimes fatal , neurological illness.
Status and Prevention
Similar to other mosquito born illnesses, the CDC recommends standard protocol
while spending time outdoors.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Stay in places with air conditioning or that use window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside.
- Sleep under a mosquito bed net if you are overseas or outside and are not able to protect yourself from mosquito bites.
- Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents.
- Treat clothing and gear with permethrin or purchase permethrin-treated items.